Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Baxter Black on Pink Slime

"Rick and I were discussing the uproar about “pink slime.” He said, “Well, I don’t know much, but I’m sure not gonna buy any of their CD’s!”

It’s all in a name; Pink Floyd, Pink Panther, Pink, Pinko Commie, pink in the center (medium rare), pink eye, Pinky Lee and/or pinkie finger.  Pink slime, as you have heard is a predominately lean beef that has been separated from fat and is added back to hamburger to make it leaner.  It is puffed with ammonia gas to eliminate bacteria.  They could have chosen to call it lean beef crystals, beeffulls, red stripes, lean beef sprinkles, or recycled fresh beef calorie reducers.  But they didn’t, so unwittingly, they became targets..."

Continued Read Baxter's Column | Baxter Black

4 comments:

  1. Why not add a dash of pepper and call it Chipotle Beef: Americans would suck it through a straw.

    Pinky Lee: my god, you are my age.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  2. After conferring with a coworker who's wife worked in a beef plant I think I'll pass. I'd be less concerned if I didn't know that corporations cheat to make that extra dollars' profit.

    How about a white sport coat and a pink carnation? Oops may have been before your time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ol'B, Baxter is a couple years older than me. We both hit our peak in the 80's. He was famous so made more money.

      Demeur, My son works in meat processing and I can assure you that NOTHING is cheated or skimped in their shop. Even one recall costs more than any money saved and the damage to reputation, with associated loss in sales, is not worth the risk.

      And I was 10 years old when Marty Robbins recorded that and I remember it VERY well. Pinkie Lee, maybe not.

      Delete
  3. Pinky Lee was a children's entertainer in the fifties (black and white TV (not that we had one.)
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted